Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
mike admin

Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Post by mike admin »

Starting from version 1.15.3 MakeMKV can rebuild missing DolbyVision metadata. As of today, this is the only public tool that could do that - even the mp4muxer requires DV profile and BL_compat_level on command line in order to properly build DV descriptors. MakeMKV can now extract this information from a raw bitstream.

What it means, that if you have an MKV file with completely bogus or missing metadata, you can open it with 1.15.3 and produce a correct DV MKV, as long as bitstream is not altered. Even if MKV file is produced by a tool that is unaware of Dolby Vision, as long as bitstream is not corrupted. Most tools keep unknown bitstream data as is.

Also, there is another feature - MakeMKV now recognizes Dolby video codec inside "unsupported" container. With this, one can convert any DV file, from any format to DV MKV. Word of warning - this is rather advanced feature, but you can convert pretty much anything to MKV.

Below are the steps to convert DV MP4 or TS file (or anything else) to DV MKV.

Step 1 - you have to convert a source file into MKV. two commands to do so are:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i "$1" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f matroska "$1_ffmpeg.mkv"
and

Code: Select all

mkvmerge -o "$1_mmg.mkv" "$1"
Depending on the tool, file layout, and the current phase of the moon, you can get one of 3:

1 - HEVC MKV (HEVC video with no DOVI descriptors). Could be played back (without DV) and edited.
2 - crappy MKV - the video codec would be either an MS_FOURCC/dvh? or V_QUICKTIME . No player would play this file and most tools would choke on it.
3 - broken MKV - a variant of (2) with vital metadata destroyed. can really rarely get this with ffmpeg method, the P81 MP4 sample produces this (only when using ffmpeg).
and
4 - DV MKV , that's what new MakeMKV produces.

MakeMKV now can open all 4, extract the raw bitstream and produce a proper DV MKV file. So most of the time workflow would be:

.mp4 -> mkvmerge -> crappy_mkv -> makemkv -> DV_MKV -> mkvmerge -> HEVC_MKV -> makemkv -> DV_MKV

.ts -> ffmpeg -> crappy_mkv -> ...

It is possible to use mkvmerge for .ts sources and ffmpeg for .mp4 sources, but YMMV.
ghostshadow

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Post by ghostshadow »

Great job, well done
oldirtydog

Post by oldirtydog »

From where i can downloaded makemkv 1.15.3 ?
ghostshadow

Post by ghostshadow »

oldirtydog wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:18 am
From where i can downloaded makemkv 1.15.3 ?
well there : https://www.makemkv.com/download/
chub_rock1

Post by chub_rock1 »

Does this mean that if I had created an MKV (using MakeMKV) of a movie that had a DV track (but shows as HDR10) , I can just open that old .mkv and create a new mkv with the DV track enabled? How would I do that? It would be much quicker than re ripping those disks.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

chub_rock1 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:50 pm
Does this mean that if I had created an MKV (using MakeMKV) of a movie that had a DV track (but shows as HDR10) , I can just open that old .mkv and create a new mkv with the DV track enabled? How would I do that? It would be much quicker than re ripping those disks.
If you'd done it prior to 1.15.1, then no I don't believe so, because the DV EL track was previously being discarded.
Rumourd

Post by Rumourd »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:48 pm
chub_rock1 wrote:
If you'd done it prior to 1.15.1, then no I don't believe so, because the DV EL track was previously being discarded.
What if you used 1.15.1 and later? Will it work then?
I'm also still not sure of the process, can someone do a step by a step on a previously-ripped MKV? How does one know the DV stream has been reinstated to the file?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Rumourd wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:31 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:48 pm
chub_rock1 wrote:
What if you used 1.15.1 and later? Will it work then?
I'm also still not sure of the process, can someone do a step by a step on a previously-ripped MKV? How does one know the DV stream has been reinstated to the file?
Yes, just open the file in 1.15.3 and it should be recognized as DV. You then just go ahead and create a new mkv like if you would with a disc
Rumourd

Post by Rumourd »

Tried it. Also re-ripped a DV disc. My TCL TV doesn't recognize it over Plex.
Fuluer

Post by Fuluer »

Using an old version of MakeMKV, I used to backup my disks, and then use MKVtoolnix to create an MKV with both video streams embedded. The videos have always played fine, though without DV.

I now have Shield/Kodi/Exoplayer setup, and can play the newer MKVs from 1.15.2+

But when I try and open one of my older MKV's with MakeMKV 1.15.3, only the BL is detected.

What would be the correct workflow to convert the older MKVs to the new format without lossy transcoding?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Rumourd wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:20 pm
well yeah there is currently no support for mkvs with DV in most of the major apps. there are workarounds if you'd like to read up on it in the other threads
Rumourd

Post by Rumourd »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:43 pm
Rumourd wrote:
well yeah there is currently no support for mkvs with DV in most of the major apps. there are workarounds if you'd like to read up on it in the other threads
I'm not sure it's a Plex issue. I re-ripped "HALLOWEEN (1978)". MakeMKV recognized the dual-layer dvhe 7.06 after decrypting.

I then checked the newly-ripped MKV in MediaInfo, and there is no Dolby Vision found, only basic HDR10. Same with running prior DV rips (MKV files, ripped in 1.15.2).
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Rumourd wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:01 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:43 pm
Rumourd wrote:
I'm not sure it's a Plex issue. I re-ripped "HALLOWEEN (1978)". MakeMKV recognized the dual-layer dvhe 7.06 after decrypting.

I then checked the newly-ripped MKV in MediaInfo, and there is no Dolby Vision found, only basic HDR10. Same with running prior DV rips (MKV files, ripped in 1.15.2).
Most major apps have not been updated to to recognize the new DV metadata standard, and this includes mediainfo. If you open up the file again in makemkv, you see that it has the DV info.
spaced

Post by spaced »

Great new release, seems to run a bit smoother on some discs I was having trouble with as well as a bit faster I think? Ford v Ferarri currently ripping @ 3.3x on WH14NS40 modded 1.04 firmware in a Mercury Pro bay direct connect to Mobo. Before I was lucky to get 2ish

So I understand, this new version still won't magically make DV/Atmos Mkvs read DV in plex via shield pro 2019 because that's still on Plex? I will continue to use tsmuxer 04.06 to get that to work?

Maybe this will fix the issue I was having on a few DV movies that were stubborn and wouldn't apply DV/Atmos with the above method. For me the troubled ones were Spectre, Skyfall, Braveheart which I read up a bunch on the forums that these were problematic for others to get DV to recognize on Plex/Shield Pro 2019 after doing the proper steps.

Also, first post, so hello to all fellow ripping nerds, I am still fairly new to this wild west of tech, I do come from a fairly technical background, just not this specifically. Been using MakeMKV for about a year now, purchased a key after it did so much for me and my UHDs.
PSUHammer

Post by PSUHammer »

Rumourd wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:01 pm

Plex and MediaInfo need to be updated to work properly. Plex uses a modified version of Google's ExoPlayer (at least the Android TV version does). I believe ExoPlayer now supports MKV DV metadata but Plex would need to update their branch. I am sure MediaInfo's next release will also properly show the metadata of your new MKV rips.