Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ragico

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by ragico »

@Yusesope
Your "test" file plays in both shield and ugoos am6+ and triggers DV.
In Firestick black screen.

Tried BL only from Doctor Sleep and in Firestick it triggers HDR10+, so it is not possible to compare this DV film between shield (known problems) and firestick.
We need a Mel conversion that triggers DV in firestick.
Last edited by ragico on Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

lexyz wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:03 pm
Thx again.
Is it possible to make captures with streamed p5 content samples? Like, let's say, Mandalorian.

Only hope with more attention to this issue nvidia will have to fix it one day.
yes, I asked him about that. He's in the USA, so he can compare Vudu x700 as well.
ragico

Post by ragico »

@RESET_999
Thank you.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

ragico wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:13 pm
@RESET_999
Thank you.
you're welcome. Credit goes to @Manixx2020beyound for the vertex 2 captures.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I just watched Skyfall last night on the SHIELD and I concur with the red push everywhere. The SHIELD just doesn't want to play nice. :(
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

I can remember this shield defect in Aquaman or Valerian
It should be, but could be hard to spot by naked eye
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It's one of those "once you see it it can't be unseen" kind of things.
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

SamuriHL wrote:I just watched Skyfall last night on the SHIELD and I concur with the red push everywhere. The SHIELD just doesn't want to play nice. :(
Do people still have faith that Nvidia will get this figured out eventually? I really want to sell off my OPPO and combine my libraries....

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Truly unknown. We're not sure exactly what the issue is that's causing it. It's very possible the SHIELD just doesn't support decoding the parts of the DV spec that UHD is using. In which case, nope, it'll never get fixed. It's designed to play streaming DV content which is encoded differently than UHD DV content. All we can do is keep reporting it to them until they tell us to go away.
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:35 pm
Truly unknown. We're not sure exactly what the issue is that's causing it. It's very possible the SHIELD just doesn't support decoding the parts of the DV spec that UHD is using. In which case, nope, it'll never get fixed. It's designed to play streaming DV content which is encoded differently than UHD DV content. All we can do is keep reporting it to them until they tell us to go away.
Would comparing UHD DV to a streamed DV counter part help? I mean if the streamed DV counter part looks correct then I agree we have no chance of this getting fixed.

Or is it not that simple and comparing some streamed content to say the X700 not really help? That said, I’m struggling to think of a title we could even use too :P
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

PlatypusW wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Would comparing UHD DV to a streamed DV counter part help? I mean if the streamed DV counter part looks correct then I agree we have no chance of this getting fixed.

Or is it not that simple and comparing some streamed content to say the X700 not really help? That said, I’m struggling to think of a title we could even use too :P
I already did that comparison. the streamed content doesn't have the red push issue.

https://slow.pics/c/TYFydU4s

But the fact that the Firestick TV is able to play UHD-BD rip properly is encouraging. I believe Nvidia can fix that issue.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

PlatypusW wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:12 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:35 pm

RESET_9999 did a lot of these kinds of comparisons and the issue is absolutely there on UHD sources but not for streaming. I can confirm the same with my own equipment. My x700 is in the other room on my 3D plasma so I've not done any comparisons with it, but, I do have my UB820 to compare to and there is a difference. The SHIELD just can't play these UHD sources without red push issues.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I've not played on the firestick yet but that requires FEL->MEL conversion. Once that process gets nailed down by you adventurous people, maybe Mike can add an option to do so in MakeMKV to make it seamless. :D I should try a couple of my MEL movies with plex on the firestick and see how that goes. That'd be nice.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:28 pm
my friend had some LLDV tonemapped to SDR capture samples for me today. Good news for the Firestick Tv owners, it looks like it does DV the right way even though I see a small difference on white in the comparison #1 compared to the x700.

x700 vs shield vs firestick vs Chromecast. (use number keys on your keyboard to switch between the image)
https://slow.pics/c/QBBIxewf

SKYFALL MEL DV.... 3 comparisons of each device:

x700 vs Firestick: https://screenshotcomparison.com/compar ... /picture:2

x700 vs Shield: https://screenshotcomparison.com/compar ... /picture:2

x700 vs Chromecast: https://screenshotcomparison.com/compar ... /picture:2

Firestick vs Shield: https://screenshotcomparison.com/compar ... /picture:2

Shield = worse of all, oversaturation and ugly red artifacts everywhere. -----> btw I didn't look for a movie with artifacts, I took the first MEL movie I found and it still had red artifacts.
Chromecast = oversaturation but no red artifacts.

Spears and Munsil, x700 Original MEL vs FEL to mel conversion: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/7017

same method:
-all the players send LLDV.
-Vertex tone map DV to SDR using the same settings.
- The signal is captured using the same settings.
Is the firestick only capable of LLDV? Is that why it was used or was it a TV limitation? It's really too bad that the firestick can't handle lossless audio. That's more of a deal breaker for me than the seemingly better DV implementation.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:01 pm

Is the firestick only capable of LLDV? Is that why it was used or was it a TV limitation? It's really too bad that the firestick can't handle lossless audio. That's more of a deal breaker for me than the seemingly better DV implementation.
Wait it can't do lossless audio?? Yea, ok, that's a deal breaker for me as well. Damn. (You can tell how much I've used my firestick LOL)