Windows hangs after MakeMKV has ripped a number of DVDs

Everything related to MakeMKV
NickBR

Windows hangs after MakeMKV has ripped a number of DVDs

Post by NickBR »

I have been having trouble with the latest beta, in that after I rip a number of DVDs (not a specific number, it has on occasion happened after just 2) I find I cannot switch to another application (Explorer for example, but any other application).
I cannot close MakeMKV either.
If I kill MakeMKV using task manager (ctrl-alt-del still works) everything immediately springs back to life.

Sometimes I can switch to explorer and rename the output files, but when I try to copy to my NAS, the transfer stops part way and I cannot copy the files until I restart the computer.

This is a new Dell XPS15 running Windows 10.
dcoke22

Re: Windows hangs after MakeMKV has ripped a number of DVDs

Post by dcoke22 »

Does MakeMKV have any log messages? Does this behavior happen while a disc is being ripped or after a rip has finished? Does Task Manager indicate something is using all the CPU or network or disk I/O on the system?
NickBR

Post by NickBR »

Generally this seems to be after ripping is finished.
Task Manager doesn't show anything that looks extraordinary.
MakeMKV seems to complete its tasks so I haven't looked at logs for errors - it seems to be affecting something else rather than generating an error but next time I shall look at logs. I shall have to look up where they are kept.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That would indicate a network issue. Look at the memory and network statistics in Task Manager. Do they climb high and stay there for a long time?

If you think you've got a gigabit connection but the network throughput won't go over 100Mb/s, you may have a bad cable or switch port.

MakeMKV can queue up a LOT of data in a hurry, but if the connection to the NAS is slow, things will seem like they "hang" for a while, as that data makes its way to the network. When I tested a computer that could only do 100Mb/s, the ripping would end on a title, then about 90 seconds later, it would move on to the next. The time in between, the network was 100% saturated, then zip... until the reading of the next title began.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging