UHD support

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
BISHOPP376
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 6:16 pm
Location: Chippenham, England

Re: UHD support

Post by BISHOPP376 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks.

LuekG
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:00 am

Re: UHD support

Post by LuekG » Wed May 30, 2018 10:03 am

I have a LG UH850T and the 950T and find that a lot of the straight rips won't play...

They all play fine on my Zappiti media player though.

Perhaps with our "old" TVs it's more something to do with the bandwidth of the files than being HDR/DV compatible. I say this because playback is not an issue with or without HDR/DV when I play a compressed version of the same title.

Only problem is it takes 8-14hrs for me to compress as my GPU for some reason isn't being used :P

Trickyd-1
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:51 am

Re: UHD support

Post by Trickyd-1 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:46 pm

LuekG wrote:I have a LG UH850T and the 950T and find that a lot of the straight rips won't play...

They all play fine on my Zappiti media player though.

Perhaps with our "old" TVs it's more something to do with the bandwidth of the files than being HDR/DV compatible. I say this because playback is not an issue with or without HDR/DV when I play a compressed version of the same title.

Only problem is it takes 8-14hrs for me to compress as my GPU for some reason isn't being used :P
Install mkvtoolnix, remux one that won’t play, test remuxed file on tv and report back plz :)

BISHOPP376
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 6:16 pm
Location: Chippenham, England

Re: UHD support

Post by BISHOPP376 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:19 pm

No change on the remuxed copy from my perspective. :(

Trickyd-1
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:51 am

Re: UHD support

Post by Trickyd-1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:12 pm

BISHOPP376 wrote:No change on the remuxed copy from my perspective. :(
That’s strange. I’ve got an LG b7 oled and I have the same issue that you described but remuxing works every time for me.

Trickyd-1
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:51 am

Re: UHD support

Post by Trickyd-1 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:56 pm

BISHOPP376 wrote:No change on the remuxed copy from my perspective. :(
Something else that works for me is to demux to raw streams with eac3to, i.e eac3to "file.mkv" 1: video.hevc 2: audio.thd/audio.dtshd 3: subs.sup
and then remux the raw streams back to an MKV with mkvtoolnix

amanofcharacter
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:41 am

Re: UHD support

Post by amanofcharacter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:44 pm

EDIT: Yes, it was a noob question. I found the info on the 2.0/2.1 discussion. This is the sort of info I was looking for. I'm starting to grasp more and more what kind of infancy UHD ripping is in at the moment. Cheers everyone.


Hope this isn't a noob question:

Is the current process of UHD ripping under any kind of risk of patching by the studios? Are there currently any fears that the successful methods currently being used have any sort of "expiration" date in their usefulness?

I've been ripping my BDs for years with MakeMKV, and I'm finally ready to try out UHD. I really, REALLY want to "buy into" the process (a friendly disc drive, more HDDs, and more MOVIES), but I'm feeling uncertain that the current working process has a long life expectancy. Are these concerns unfounded? Is the community expecting the Studios to figure out a block with certain production years and beyond?

I'm reading up as much as I can, but with the sense I'm getting that disc drives are becoming rarer and rarer, I want to make a decision ASAP. Thanks,

atc98092
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:23 am

Re: UHD support

Post by atc98092 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:44 am

I can't connect to the doom9 forum. Have they gone offline? Is that the only place the key file can be acquired? I haven't grabbed the most current one, but so far I've been successful ripping four UHDs. Don't have any immediate plans to buy more, but who knows what title might appear I want?

EDIT: never mind. I found the link in the other post. Thanks!
Serviio media server with 18 TB of space. Over 1500 movies and 2000 TV episodes. Samsung JU7100 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Roku 4, Ultra and two Roku TVs (one 4K) on a gigabit network.

d00zah
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: UHD support

Post by d00zah » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:17 pm

atc98092 wrote:I can't connect to the doom9 forum. Have they gone offline? Is that the only place the key file can be acquired? I haven't grabbed the most current one, but so far I've been successful ripping four UHDs. Don't have any immediate plans to buy more, but who knows what title might appear I want?

EDIT: never mind. I found the link in the other post. Thanks!
'hashed keys' superseded the 'KEYDB.cfg' format for MakeMKV long ago & is updated (~)regularly. See the following thread for details:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 959#p59411

jonghotti
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: Earth

Re: UHD support

Post by jonghotti » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:21 pm

amanofcharacter wrote:EDIT: Yes, it was a noob question. I found the info on the 2.0/2.1 discussion. This is the sort of info I was looking for. I'm starting to grasp more and more what kind of infancy UHD ripping is in at the moment. Cheers everyone.


Hope this isn't a noob question:

Is the current process of UHD ripping under any kind of risk of patching by the studios? Are there currently any fears that the successful methods currently being used have any sort of "expiration" date in their usefulness?

I've been ripping my BDs for years with MakeMKV, and I'm finally ready to try out UHD. I really, REALLY want to "buy into" the process (a friendly disc drive, more HDDs, and more MOVIES), but I'm feeling uncertain that the current working process has a long life expectancy. Are these concerns unfounded? Is the community expecting the Studios to figure out a block with certain production years and beyond?

I'm reading up as much as I can, but with the sense I'm getting that disc drives are becoming rarer and rarer, I want to make a decision ASAP. Thanks,
A man of character ladies and gentlemen, the name says it all!

diabloxp
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:55 am

Re: UHD support

Post by diabloxp » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 am

Hi,
1) Could anybody confirm that cross-flashing the device LG WH16NS60, having pre-installed the firmware WH16NS60 (version 1.00/1.01) to LG BH16NS55 firmware (version <= 1.02) makes this device UHD Friendly so that the drive is supported by MakeMkv with UHD Blue-Rays properly?
2) Do you know if just downgrading the firmware of LG WH16NS60 from version 1.01 to 1.00 (what is confirmed that could be done) makes it compatible with MakeMkv with UHD Blue-Rays?

Regards

jonghotti
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: Earth

Re: UHD support

Post by jonghotti » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:59 am

diabloxp wrote:Hi,
1) Could anybody confirm that cross-flashing the device LG WH16NS60, having pre-installed the firmware WH16NS60 (version 1.00/1.01) to LG BH16NS55 firmware (version <= 1.02) makes this device UHD Friendly so that the drive is supported by MakeMkv with UHD Blue-Rays properly?
2) Do you know if just downgrading the firmware of LG WH16NS60 from version 1.01 to 1.00 (what is confirmed that could be done) makes it compatible with MakeMkv with UHD Blue-Rays?

Regards
Why why why would you do that? WH16NS40s are everywhere. Drives you don't have flash are everywhere. This flashing bullshit is pissing both ASUS and LG off believe you me. Fucking guys are returning bricked units to the store, you don't think those go back to R&D at the manufacturer for failure analysis? These fucking forums aren't even private.

diabloxp
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:55 am

Re: UHD support

Post by diabloxp » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 am

jonghotti wrote:
diabloxp wrote:Hi,
1) Could anybody confirm that cross-flashing the device LG WH16NS60, having pre-installed the firmware WH16NS60 (version 1.00/1.01) to LG BH16NS55 firmware (version <= 1.02) makes this device UHD Friendly so that the drive is supported by MakeMkv with UHD Blue-Rays properly?
2) Do you know if just downgrading the firmware of LG WH16NS60 from version 1.01 to 1.00 (what is confirmed that could be done) makes it compatible with MakeMkv with UHD Blue-Rays?

Regards
Why why why would you do that? WH16NS40s are everywhere. Drives you don't have flash are everywhere. This flashing bullshit is pissing both ASUS and LG off believe you me. Fucking guys are returning bricked units to the store, you don't think those go back to R&D at the manufacturer for failure analysis? These fucking forums aren't even private.

I am aware of the risk, however it does not answer the question. Could anyone answer who tried it?

st4evr
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: UHD support

Post by st4evr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 pm

diabloxp wrote:Hi,
1) Could anybody confirm that cross-flashing the device LG WH16NS60, having pre-installed the firmware WH16NS60 (version 1.00/1.01) to LG BH16NS55 firmware (version <= 1.02) makes this device UHD Friendly so that the drive is supported by MakeMkv with UHD Blue-Rays properly?
2) Do you know if just downgrading the firmware of LG WH16NS60 from version 1.01 to 1.00 (what is confirmed that could be done) makes it compatible with MakeMkv with UHD Blue-Rays?

Regards
1. Drives are typically discussed here:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewforum.php?f=16

Also, read this as it may contain helpful information regarding cross-flashing:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 16&t=17091

Flashing to the BH16NS55 may be risky. If it's NOT in the cross-flashing compatible list then consider it a risk. People have bricked drives this way. There are similar topics across the webs. Where? Google.

Tip: People have been successful in flashing to more similar models like the WH16NS40.

2. NO. This has been discussed multiple times in this forum. Example:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... S60#p63922

An simple search will yield more results if needed.

st4evr
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: UHD support

Post by st4evr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:00 pm

jonghotti wrote:
Why why why would you do that? WH16NS40s are everywhere. Drives you don't have flash are everywhere. This flashing bullshit is pissing both ASUS and LG off believe you me. Fucking guys are returning bricked units to the store, you don't think those go back to R&D at the manufacturer for failure analysis? These fucking forums aren't even private.

You need to calm down a bit. There is absolutely no need to be so aggressive. This is like the third post I see from you regarding this in this manner.

I can't believe anyone here gives two shits what Asus and LG think. Why? There has ALWAYS been a "battle" between modders/hackers versus the big manufactures/developers. Ever since those terms were coined/invented and the internet was open to the masses. This has been raging for decades in many facets of our technologies and if you are unable to comprehend that this has been an ongoing battle for decades and it WILL continue for many more--and that "is pissing both ASUS and LG off" and it will continue to do so--then you are welcomed to leave the forum, unplug your internet modem forever, and put on your tin-foil hat. It's NOT gonna change.

This entire forum and this part of Mike's business is based on a piece of decryption software that allows for modifications to a medium that many big companies despise. Not just Asus and LG. So that he, you, and I can do whatever the F we please with the hardware/media we purchased. If the owner--in this case Mike--feels this setup works for him, then it's the way it's gonna be as the rest of us have no power over that.

In the end when one goes down. Some other pops up to take it's place.

NO manufacturer/developer likes it when ANYONE/ANYTHING uses their software/hardware outside of their specified use and warranty specifications. This is not news.

Can they, will they, or have they tried to do something against Mike? Well, only he can speak to that and respectfully it’s his decision and problem to run things like this.

Now can we get back to discussing the topics in this forum in a civilized manner?

Thanks. :)

Post Reply