Convert .ts files?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
dpatel

Convert .ts files?

Post by dpatel »

Hi - I have recorded some HD shows using my Humax HD PVR and have copied them to a portable hard drive. They play for a few secs using vlc and then freeze. So I was hoping to use makemkv to convert the file. However, when I go to the folder the files do not show up...is it a case of .ts files are not supported?

Icanseestars

Re: Convert .ts files?

Post by Icanseestars »

MakeMKV is a ripper not an encoder (it transfers the raw video of DVD or Blu-ray's into an MKV container).

Go use Handbrake it is an x264 encoder that can convert video.

Alternatively you can try to re-package the existing video of the .ts file into an MKV container using MKVmerge.
NomadCF

Re: Convert .ts files?

Post by NomadCF »

Icanseestars wrote:Alternatively you can try to re-package the existing video of the .ts file into an MKV container using MKVmerge.
MKVmerge does not support ts files, you'll first have to demux, then remux them into a MKV.

1. One option is to use tsmuxer(GUI) and demux them and then remux them with MKVmerge. But you will need to account for the delays settings your self.
2. My favorite way to handle converting TS to MKV is to use eac3to and have it demux everything, and fix the audio. The resulting files will all be ready to be remuxed with out needing to worry about any of the delay settings. Some times you'll need to run the eac3to twice on a given file, the second time is so post to fix gaps in the video/audio sync. But most times it's not needed.

CMD to "demux" all streams and fix errors.

Code: Select all

eac3to "Were the World Mine (2008).ts" "Were the World Mine (2008).mkv"
The resulting files will look some what like this:

Were the World Mine (2008).mkv
Were the World Mine (2008).mkv - 2 - AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz, 192kbps, 48khz.ac3
Now you'll need to remux all these streams into 1 MKV file, for that you have use mkvmerge.
Example:

"mkvmerge.exe" -o "Were the World Mine (2008).mkv"  "--priority" "higher" "--language" "1:eng" "--track-name" "1:Were the World Mine (2008)" "--default-track" "1:yes" "--forced-track" "1:yes" "-d" "1" "-A" "-S" "-T" "--no-global-tags" "--no-chapters" "Were the World Mine (2008).mkv.mkv" "--language" "0:eng" "--track-name" "0:AC3, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz, 'AC3, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz, '20''" "--default-track" "0:yes" "--forced-track" "0:no" "-a" "0" "-D" "-S" "-T" "--no-global-tags" "--no-chapters" "Were the World Mine (2008).mkv - 2 - AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz.ac3" "--track-order" "0:1,1:0"