Handbrake not recognizing Harry Potter Blursy MKVs.

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
georgegmd

Handbrake not recognizing Harry Potter Blursy MKVs.

Post by georgegmd »

I have processed twenty bluray DVDs without difficulty (ext USB LG 12LU30, MKV version 1.6.7) and have had Handbrake translate them to m4v files that play in iTunes without any problems.

Yesterday I processed four Harry Potter movies. One worked fine (the first movie). The three other MKV files play fine using VLC. However, Handbrake now tells me "No Valid Source Found" when I try to convert any of the three to m4v.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
setarip_old

Re: Handbrake not recognizing Harry Potter Blursy MKVs.

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
The three other MKV files play fine using VLC. However, Handbrake now tells me "No Valid Source Found" when I try to convert any of the three to m4v.

Sounds like Handbrake is the problem, not MakeMKV...

mertyle

Post by mertyle »

Same thing happened to me with District 9
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please post the mediainfo output for produced MKV files. Do you use the latest snapshot Handbrake build?
sshomza

Post by sshomza »

I am getting the same issue with my HD-DVD rips.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Romansh wrote:HandBrake has the following limitations for file-based input (e.g. MKV):

1) max. 20 streams (video, audio + subtitles)*

2) no DTS-HD support**

Both limitations are gone in the latest nightly builds.

These limitations don't apply to Blu-ray folder structures (i.e. what's created with MakeMKV's "backup" feature).
If you don't need subtitles***, using the backup feature is the best way to rip and prepare a Blu-ray for HandBrake.

Additionally, the VC-1 decoder doesn't support interlaced compression (affects Blu-ray folders too).
This will remain the case until FFmpeg's VC-1 decoder adds interlaced compression support (no ETA).

This limitation no longer exists in the nightly builds (as of SVN revision 4028).

In 0.9.5, DTS-HD audio is sent to a DTS decoder which doesn't support DTS-HD, resulting in corrupt audio output.
This doesn't apply to DTS-HD from M2TS files and Blu-ray folders, because the M2TS demuxer extracts the DTS core before sending it to the decoder.
This limitation no longer exists in the nightly builds (as of SVN revision 3785): DTS-HD audio is sent to FFmpeg's DTS decoder, which discards the HD extensions and decodes the core.
Also, DTS-HD passthrough is now possible (as of SVN revision 4055).

If you want to hardcode ("render", "burn in") Blu-ray subtitles, you need to:
- a) rip the Blu-ray to an MKV file
- b) extract the PGS subtitles (with mkvextract)
- c) convert them to VobSub (with BDSup2Sub)
- d) merge the video and audio from the MKV rip with the VobSub subtitles to another, intermediate MKV file (with mkvmerge)
- e) feed that intermediate MKV to HandBrake which can then burn-in your subtitles

If you want soft subtitles (in an MKV file), you can:
- a) extract the PGS subtitles from a Blu-ray folder (e.g. MakeMKV's backup), using eac3to or an eac3to GUI like ClownBD
- b) optional: convert them to VobSub (or OCR them to text subtitles, with SupRip)
- c) add them to HandBrake's output with mkvmerge (no need for an intermediate MKV file, so you can compress MakeMKV's backup with HB)

The soft subtitle workflow above involves Windows. For a Mac or Linux-only workflow, you will still need to rip to an MKV file and extract the subs with mkvextract;
but since you don't need an intermediate MKV for HandBrake you could delete the MKV after extracting the subtitles and compress the backup with HandBrake.

One way to avoid all of this for soft subtitles (extraction, conversion or OCR) is to simply use an SRT file from the internet.
Last edited by Romansh on Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
basicusersetting

Post by basicusersetting »

i had the same problem. i was using handbrake version 0.9.4 no valid sources was my error. once ripped, i could play the .mkv files on my power pc with vlc, but could not convert them in handbrake. i can only convert them on my intel machine using handbrake 0.9.5 (64 bit)
steff517

Post by steff517 »

I had the same issue. You can fix it by removing some subtitles from the MKV file. Open the file in MKVMerge and export it with just the audio and video streams. Then process it with handbrake. After that, open the processed and the original file in MKVMerge and merge audio+video of the processed file with the subtitles of the original file.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Also, there is no longer any limit on the number of streams in the latest HandBrake nightly builds.