Version 10.1.4 taking way longer to backup

Everything related to MakeMKV
johng

Version 10.1.4 taking way longer to backup

Post by johng »

It used to take only ~30 minutes to make an unecrypted backup of a movie, but 10.1.4 is taking me 2-3 hours? Is anyone else seeing this as I haven't changed anything in my setup.
Lovely Rita

Re: Version 10.1.4 taking way longer to backup

Post by Lovely Rita »

No change for me. :wink:
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Like Lovely Rita, I am also not experiencing this problem. I have a Windows 10 system; what are you using?
johng

Post by johng »

OK if others aren't seeing this must be something on my end. I'll look to see what else might have changed.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The few times I've used Backup, the speed was highly variable, just like when using my normal Open/Save to MKV. Some disks are SLOW to rip. While I often see 3-8x speeds while ripping, a few recent disks have been hard pressed to hit 2x, with no real explanation as to why.

It MAY be that they're having high retry rates; When the drive does a retry, it doesn't always report it to the operating system.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
RocketMKV

Post by RocketMKV »

Much slower for me as well. I was forced to upgrade to 10.1.4 and now it's unusable as it reports several hours for one disk.
To troubleshoot, I've created a clone of the actual disk in memory. (Using Virtual CloneDrive) MakeMKV is reading the clone disk and has the same problems as the real disk.
Currently, it is reporting a read rate of 395K/s (0.2X), Elapsed 0:13:52, Remaining 3:25:07. My CPU is at 8%.

I would expect it to work very quickly reading from the clone and not hampered by a slow read of DVD drive.

Edit. An hour after I posted the issue, I tried a different disk and it worked fine.
I can only guess that the data was different. Both were normal DVD's as far as I know.
I'm in the process of converting my DVD's into MKV's and storing them on an External HD.
I would like to try running 10.1.3 again to see if truly, one version is different, but I can't.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You can get older versions here: /download/old/

The current beta key will work with the older versions, but you may have to set your system date back long enough to get the older version to let you enter the new key.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
RocketMKV

Post by RocketMKV »

Thank you very kindly. So far so good with 10.1.4. I've done several since. Probably something in the data file of the one that didn't work.