Trouble with changing default track selection

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
newarrior

Trouble with changing default track selection

Post by newarrior »

Sorry for the dumb question, but I ripped a bunch of my blurays before realizing it wasn't setting the default audio track for some of the special features and older DVDs. I read up on changing the default track selection so it will always select and English audio track if one of the lossless ones aren't present, but the formatting went a bit over my head. Currently it's set up like this, I believe it's the default:

Code: Select all

-sel:all,+sel:subtitle*forced*eng,=4:subtitle*forced*eng,+sel:subtitle*(!forced)*eng,=3:subtitle*(!forced)*eng,+sel:audio*multi*lossless*(!core)*havecore*eng,=2:audio*multi*lossless*(!core)*havecore*eng,+sel:video*(!mvcvideo),=1:video*(!mvcvideo)
If anyone could help me with the right string, it would be much appreciated!
newarrior

Re: Trouble with changing default track selection

Post by newarrior »

Sorry for the bump, just wanted to add a picture so you know what I'm talking about. The other bluray tracks come up with the audio selected, but special features, older dvds don't.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (81.25 KiB) Viewed 8882 times
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Never seen a so complicated selection string :D

You know this: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4386

The problem is here: +sel:audio*multi*lossless*(!core)*havecore*eng"
You are selecting only "multi" and "lossless", but not "stereo" or "mono", and not "Core" but "HaveCore" all in ENG, sounds very complicated for me. I can only say, keep it simple, more specifications means, more can go wrong.

A simple string looks like this: -sel:all,+sel:(ger|eng|nolang),-sel:(havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-50:ger,-10:forced
This selects all tracks for some languages and deselect any lossless track if a core is available, because I do not need in most cases an lossless track (no benefit and the size can be huge). The difference to your selection is, I use a language based track selection and deselect what is not needed. So maybe I have to much in the mkv (can be corrected with MKVToolNIX) but you select only very specific tracks and miss some if the selection does not match.

*Edit*
You are using * to specify more selection options. But " means * - alias for "&", logical and " .... not sure what is selected with this, but I think in most cases nothing is selected. If your logic should work it should be coded as +sel:audio(multi|lossless|(!core)|havecore)&(eng). The| part selects one of specified channels layouts but only for language ENG. But anyway, it's still to complicated.
Good Luck :)

Post by newarrior »

Other than change the default language to English, I didn't touch any of the settings, so this is all the default install. I went through that page and couldn't figure out a way for non-multi/loseless tracks to be checked, which is why I made this post. I replaced it with your suggestion of "+sel:audio(multi|lossless|(!core)|havecore)&(eng)" but it didn't change anything, it's still not selecting the stereo tracks :/
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

newarrior wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:53 am
Other than change the default language to English, I didn't touch any of the settings, so this is all the default install.
I cannot belive this :)
I replaced it with your suggestion of "+sel:audio(multi|lossless|(!core)|havecore)&(eng)" but it didn't change anything, it's still not selecting the stereo tracks :/
All of your selection options are related to 5.1 or more channel tracks and has nothing to do with simple Mono or Stereo tracks. You have only picked up some parts and has mixxed it into your complex selection criteria.

I'm still unsre what you want, but I think you do not want the "Core part" in case of on HD track.

This selects anything of the Favorite and Nolanguage tracks, but deselects the CORE part of an HD track.

-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang),-sel:(core),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-50:eng,-10:forced
Good Luck :)

Post by newarrior »

That fixed it, thank you!