Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
mulucy

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by mulucy »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:24 am
darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:11 am
Guys, can't we just take the .m2ts file from STREAM folder and do all with tsmusxer? If so, which version I should use?
mulucy wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:24 am
I also don't understand why we need to involve the MakeMKV if we are not going to use the MKV container as a final file. I thought TSMuxer could do all of the above ( DV + HD Audio with Atmos/DTS:X )
Please try to go back and read the first few pages of this thread. Going straight from the unecrypted m2ts file in tsmuxer will leave you with a ts file that still has the BL and EL+RPU layer in separate video tracks. This file can only be played on the x700 (and maybe oppo) to obtain dolby vision. Playing this file anywhere else (if it plays at all) will get you only HDR10. To get DV on other devices such as the Shield, the video tracks must combined first either using yusecope’s tool or the latest version of makemkv (the whole point of creating this thread). In a future version of tsmuxer, you may be able to skip this intermediate step as @jcdr is currently working on an implementation of the dual track to single track conversion into tsmuxer itself.
rosavanwinkle wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:35 am
for now i think i'm just going to try focus on just getting the dolby vision part of the atmos doesnt work,you got a guide for that too aka ac3?
Pretty much just do exactly what you’re currently doing, except add in a step for extracting the audio and converting it to a format that your system is capable of handling. Try reading the first few pages of the other thread; it’s what people had to do previously with the mp4 method because of limitations in the mp4 container in handling truehd atmos tracks.
It makes sense now, thank you!

Basically, the whole point is to eliminate as many steps as possible to make it easier for everyone.
When muxing with Tsmuxer from MKV, what profiles are we getting as a final DV output? My assumption is that MakeMKV combines two HEVC files into one track, but still dual-layer, correct? And then the profile is chosen by the build of Tsmuxer ( although I am not sure how it works with the Profile 5 since it's single track and single layer ).

Again, I appreciate the patience, @shawnc22
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mulucy wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:21 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm
For those that are looking to make this work in the easiest way possible:

1) Rip to MKV with MakeMKV
2) eac3to titlename.mkv 2: titlename.thd+ac3
Note: titlename should be replaced with the actual name of the MKV
3) Add the MKV and the thd+ac3 track to TSMuxer
4) Remux to TS

I've done this to a few of them. Currently watching Ready Player One on my SHIELD Pro 2019 in Plex as we speak. This is fantastic.
Thanks for the steps. What DV profile do you get when you did these steps using MKV? Another question, why TSMuxer need MKV step? I thought DV and Atmos was possible without involving MakeMKV
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible

As for why MKV, 2 reasons. First was already explained by someone else that the MKV combines the separate tracks for the Doby Vision metadata into a single track. But the other is, why the hell do I need to rip a whole folder backup just to then have to figure out the proper MPLS to add to TSMuxer? The MKV gives me everything I need to make a playable TS file using the steps I outlined. It's WAY faster to just rip the MKV, create the thd+ac3 track (I wrote a script that takes the mkv as input to do this step), and then drop everything in TSMuxer. Takes about 30-45 minutes per disc to do it this way.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:10 pm
mulucy wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:21 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm
For those that are looking to make this work in the easiest way possible:

1) Rip to MKV with MakeMKV
2) eac3to titlename.mkv 2: titlename.thd+ac3
Note: titlename should be replaced with the actual name of the MKV
3) Add the MKV and the thd+ac3 track to TSMuxer
4) Remux to TS

I've done this to a few of them. Currently watching Ready Player One on my SHIELD Pro 2019 in Plex as we speak. This is fantastic.
Thanks for the steps. What DV profile do you get when you did these steps using MKV? Another question, why TSMuxer need MKV step? I thought DV and Atmos was possible without involving MakeMKV
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible

As for why MKV, 2 reasons. First was already explained by someone else that the MKV combines the separate tracks for the Doby Vision metadata into a single track. But the other is, why the hell do I need to rip a whole folder backup just to then have to figure out the proper MPLS to add to TSMuxer? The MKV gives me everything I need to make a playable TS file using the steps I outlined. It's WAY faster to just rip the MKV, create the thd+ac3 track (I wrote a script that takes the mkv as input to do this step), and then drop everything in TSMuxer. Takes about 30-45 minutes per disc to do it this way.
I see now, it's actually pretty good approach to skip the yusecope's tool. Another question, my understanding is extracting audio track from MKV to TS somehow the Atmos metadata is lost, correct? Cause we also have another step where we have to extract the HD Audio/Atmos track to add it back to TSMuxer. Thank you!
ppoulos

Post by ppoulos »

Shasarak wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:19 pm
Okay, this still isn't working for me.

The result will not play on my Oppo 203. Usually it buffers indefinitely; sometimes it appears to play, but with a black screen - the Oppo then identifies the video stream as Dolby Vision but says the bit-rate is 44kbps. (I'm guessing it should be measured in Megabits!)

Yes the TS file produced using MakeMKV 1.15.1 as the video source with an ATMOS track remuxed using tsMuxeR will NOT play on an Oppo 203, but it does play on a Nvidia Shield 2019. Currently if you want to use the Oppo 203, you could just save the original double layer M2TS file from the original blu-ray without processing and the Oppo will just play this file fine. Maybe a future version of MakeMKV will fix this incompatibility.
Shasarak

Post by Shasarak »

ppoulos wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:19 pm

Currently if you want to use the Oppo 203, you could just save the original double layer M2TS file from the original blu-ray without processing and the Oppo will just play this file fine.
It will play it, but only in HDR, not in Dolby Vision.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mulucy wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:29 pm

I see now, it's actually pretty good approach to skip the yusecope's tool. Another question, my understanding is extracting audio track from MKV to TS somehow the Atmos metadata is lost, correct? Cause we also have another step where we have to extract the HD Audio/Atmos track to add it back to TSMuxer. Thank you!
Right. Everything is in the MKV but TSMuxer can't see the THD (ATMOS) audio track. So we extract that to a thd+ac3 track with the eac3to command I posted and then add the MKV and the newly created thd+ac3 track to TSMuxer. Then off you go. It worked on all my DV movies. I play them on a Shield Pro 2019 with Plex off my NAS.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:58 pm
mulucy wrote:

Right. Everything is in the MKV but TSMuxer can't see the THD (ATMOS) audio track. So we extract that to a thd+ac3 track with the eac3to command I posted and then add the MKV and the newly created thd+ac3 track to TSMuxer. Then off you go. It worked on all my DV movies. I play them on a Shield Pro 2019 with Plex off my NAS.
It sounds like I will need to buy a Shield TV pretty soon, considering how good it is when it comes to DV and HD Audio support! Thank you, and take care!
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

mulucy wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:10 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
mulucy wrote:

It sounds like I will need to buy a Shield TV pretty soon, considering how good it is when it comes to DV and HD Audio support! Thank you, and take care!
Which software player app do you use to play DV+Atmos in a TS container on you SHIELD TV?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Shasarak wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:19 pm

The result will not play on my Oppo 203. Usually it buffers indefinitely; sometimes it appears to play, but with a black screen - the Oppo then identifies the video stream as Dolby Vision but says the bit-rate is 44kbps. (I'm guessing it should be measured in Megabits!)

Can anyone definitely confirm that a TS file produced in this way does play on an Oppo 203? If so, where am I going wrong? If not, is there an alternative approach that will produce something the Oppo can handle? (I'm aware that I can keep the entire disk folder image, copy it into a folder called AVCHD, and then use BDMV Modifier to make the Oppo treat it as if it were a local disc; but I'd prefer some way to extract just the movie file and lose all the extras and menus).
Remux the original m2ts straight to TS with tsMuxer. No need to create single layer (bl+el+RPU) with the oppo and the x700. You'll only lose the chapters.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SNNPv ... yu-ZsD_6XF
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

this is how i do it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cImwxR ... sp=sharing

Which software do I need to playback those from My Philips OLED TV? It has AndroidTV 9 and Dolby Vision, DTS & Atmos Decoders built in
schorman

Post by schorman »

I'm having the same issue with playback on my Oppo 203. Curiously, playback using yusecope's tool had been working perfectly on the Oppo. I'm just curious how the output of Makemkv and yusecope's tool differ.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

schorman wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:10 pm
I'm having the same issue with playback on my Oppo 203. Curiously, playback using yusecope's tool had been working perfectly on the Oppo. I'm just curious how the output of Makemkv and yusecope's tool differ.
They should ideally be the same, but there's obviously something different as you can see from the mixed results people have been getting with different versions of tsmuxer. Might have to do something that yusecope mentioned here:
yusesope wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:32 pm
mike admin wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:41 pm
While not announced on release notes page, MakeMKV 1.15.1 (released 15.4.20) should correctly recognize and preserve Dolby Vision streams in MKV file. Given the original thread is 143 pages at the time of this writing, I'm creating a separate thread. Please report any DV issues here.
Hi guys.
I tested the latest version of makemkv only once with the sample ISO posted by @RESET_9999 (HERE).
So forgive any oversights.

I have two questions for mike:
  • AUD NALus are absent in the enhancement layer. Shouldn't they be mandatory in UHD-BD and therefore in a 1:1 copy?
  • All NALus in the enhancement layer have a value of nuh_layer_id other than 0. Is it a desired choice? and if so, why?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:00 pm
mulucy wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:10 pm
SamuriHL wrote:

Which software player app do you use to play DV+Atmos in a TS container on you SHIELD TV?
I use plex for mine. My plex server for UHD's is running on my Shield 2017 and I'm able to use the Plex client on the Shield Pro 2019 to play them perfectly.
Shasarak

Post by Shasarak »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:52 pm
Remux the original m2ts straight to TS with tsMuxer. No need to create single layer (bl+el+RPU) with the oppo and the x700. You'll only lose the chapters.
I'll give that a go tomorrow. One obvious issue, though: what if there's seamless branching?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Shasarak wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:40 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:52 pm
I'll give that a go tomorrow. One obvious issue, though: what if there's seamless branching?
use the mpls playlist file as the input in tsmuxer instead of the m2ts file